Re: [vile] I've got my 'wide' characters display problem back - in 9.7z

From: Chris G
Subject: Re: [vile] I've got my 'wide' characters display problem back - in 9.7z
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 11:57:20 +0000

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 08:09:29PM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jan 2010, Chris G wrote:
>
> >I have recently moved to vile 9.7z and have got my problem with
> >extended characters not displaying properly back again.
> >
> >I.e. the problem is that things like accented characters and pound
> >signs (UK currency) display within vile as wierd sequences like:-
> >
> >   UK pound - \u00A3
> >   e acute - \u00E9
> >   e grave - \u00E8
>
> vile would show that if it decided that the terminal could not display
> UTF-8 (though mostly it's paying attention to the locale, which should
> work).
>
> >This time I *have* compiled with:-
> >
> >   ./configure --with-perl --with-screen=ncursesw
>
> It seems to work for me, here.  I have a set of test-files that I
> use for checking the Latin-1 codes versus the Unicode values which
> are the "same"
>
> Here
>
> :show-variables
>
> shows (among other things):
>
> $buf-encoding = UTF-8
> $cfgopts = hypertext,locale,iconv,multibyte,perl,curses

Yes, I have:-
    $buf-encoding = UTF-8
    $cfgopts = hypertext,locale,iconv,multibyte,curses

I'm not quite sure why I haven't got perl but that's presumably
irrelevant to the present problem.

> Also, in :setall, I have nounicode-as-hex (near the bottom, in the
> window section).

Yes, I have that too.

> >Locale settings are all en_GB.UTF-8, platform is xubuntu 9.10 with
> >2.6.31-17-generic kernel.
> >
> >The characters are actually correct, it's just their display in vile
> >that's wrong.

Anything else I can try/do to diagnose it?

I just tried in a gnome-terminal and uxterm, just the same, my default
terminal is xfce4-terminal.

--
Chris Green