Re: [vile] I've got my 'wide' characters display problem back - in 9.7z

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] I've got my 'wide' characters display problem back - in 9.7z
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 20:57:44 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010, Chris G wrote:

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 12:25:43PM +0000, Chris G wrote:
On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 12:14:01PM +0000, Chris G wrote:
Beyond that - I diagnose most of the problems by configuring --with-trace,
and looking at the Trace.out file when running it.  That's large, unless
one uses an empty .vilerc file.  (If the problem is in the .vilerc file,
then I pare that down to just the problem before wading through 4Mb
of traces...).

I've removed my .vilerc file and the problem is still there.  I'll
configure with --with-trace and take a look.

The basic locale initialization is near the beginning, but the decision of
whether the buffer should be utf8 (probably not the problem) is at
the end.

Well here's the result (attached) of running a vile built with
--with-trace, I just opened a file with a few UK pound signs and
accented characters and did nothing more. The characters are displayed
as \u00A3 and \u00E9 still. I can't see anything particularly wrong
with the Trace.out but that's probably just my lack of a full
understanding of it.

The characters *do* display correctly if I just cat the file so the
terminal is quite capable of displaying them.

.... and of course I forgot to attach it!  :-)

thanks - I see the problem, and am working on a fix...

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net