web-hurd

confusion in left frame of the website

From: Robert Millan
Subject: confusion in left frame of the website
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 18:16:35 +0000

[ Please CC, I'm not subscribed ]

Hi there,

>From debian-hurd:

> > Where can I download Hurd? -  How do I install Hurd?
>
> You're confusing terms. The correct answers to this questions are:
>
>   - from CVS (CVSROOT=:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/hurd)
>   - ./configure && make && make install
>
> If you refer to the whole system (Mach,Hurd,Glibc,Bash,Coreutils..), use
> GNU or GNU/Hurd. And for the Debian distribution, Debian GNU/Hurd.

It seems this confusion is originated in the left frame of the website, which
is not very clear on what you are installing on every section:

 - "GNU Mach" installation section explains how to install GNU Mach
 - "The GNU Hurd" installation section doesn't explain how to install the Hurd
   (I can't find any instructions on Hurd installation in the site), but rather
   how to install a GNU/Hurd system (Debian distribution of course)

I think a good solution would be to add the missing instructions to install
the Hurd, and move the instructions to install GNU/Hurd into a new upper
"GNU/Hurd" section.

If there are no comments I'll send a patch for that.

--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T, Ainulindale (Silmarillion)