web-hurd

Re: confusion in left frame of the website

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: confusion in left frame of the website
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 18:02:38 +0000

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 11:32:37AM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 06:16:35PM +0000, Robert Millan wrote:
> > I think a good solution would be to add the missing instructions to install
> > the Hurd, and move the instructions to install GNU/Hurd into a new upper
> > "GNU/Hurd" section.
>
> And you think that this will make it clearer for those users who don't
> know what they want in the first place?

Who don't know what they want should start by making up an idea of what
they want first, otherwise they'll be confused inevitably.

> I see the problem, but I have
> my doubts about the fix.  As long as there is no GNU/Hurd system we do
> in GNU, it will always be a source of confusion, I guess.

I have already some ideas for the "GNU/Hurd" field. It could explain the
following points. I think it's clear enough:

 - The latest release of the GNU system is 0.2. It is obsolete, unusable,
   ABI incompatible, etc. We don't even provide a link to it.
 - What you want is a modern distribution of GNU/Hurd. Currently the only
   available distribution is Debian GNU/Hurd (efforts are there on Gentoo
   and others)

There's no room for confusion if you explain everything without ambiguity.

--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T, Ainulindale (Silmarillion)