web-hurd

Re: confusion in left frame of the website

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: confusion in left frame of the website
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 00:53:04 +0000

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 09:34:09PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> > I find this sort of notes worthy of being under "the Hurd" installation
> > section (actualy I didn't know at all about them).
>
> Only if we decide that this is how it should be.  I have a strong reluctance
> against documenting bugs that are easy to fix, and state of development
> software which is in flux (by some meaning of "flux" ;)

That makes sense..

> > Gentoo GNU/Hurd (http://hurd.rustedhalo.net/about.php)
> > Bee GNU/Hurd
> > (http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers/2003-07/msg00332.html)
>
> Now that is something I didn't know about.

:)

> Well, the current content of the Hurd web pages is limited to what is
> reasonably stable (so we don't need to change it often) and works.
>
> If you are serious about what you suggested, you would also have to make the
> distinction between Debian GNU/Hurd and GNU/Hurd in general.  The best way
> to do this is to not have any Debian GNU/Hurd specific information on the
> GNU page at all, but only refer to Debian GNU/Hurd ports page.  Which
> exists, but is out of date and I would not feel good about letting the user
> rely on that solely.  That is option 1.  Option 2 is to not rely on external
> sources, but to avoid doing what Debian GNU/Hurd should do we would have to
> restrict ourselve to some minimum amount of information (Neal's guide, in
> particular).

I prefer option 1. I'd have no problem in helping to maintain either the
"GNU/Hurd" page or the "Debian GNU/Hurd" one [1] if necessary.

Ok, where shall I put my hands on?

[1] I'm in "webwml" group already

--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T, Ainulindale (Silmarillion)