web-hurd

Re: confusion in left frame of the website

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: confusion in left frame of the website
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 19:16:30 +0000

> On Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 06:28:20PM +0000, Robert Millan wrote:
> > There's no link for installing the Hurd. For GNU Mach we have some notes [1]
> > about build dependencies, cross-compiling, etc. But for the Hurd there are
> > no such notes. What you will find in their place are notes for installing
> > a Debian GNU/Hurd distribution.
>
> Right.  Installing the Hurd itself is something that is peculiar to do.  For
> example, as of today, if you install the Hurd via make install, it will
> overwrite the /libexec/rc file and thus wipe out some of the Debian specific
> code in it from the Debian package.
>
> [...]

I find this sort of notes worthy of being under "the Hurd" installation
section (actualy I didn't know at all about them).

> Ok, ok.  I am willing to have one web page "GNU/Hurd", it can even be the
> first one, as a top level item above "The GNU Hurd" (or is it "The Hurd"?)
> in the menu.  It can then link to various OS distributions of the GNU/Hurd,
> which would be Debian GNU/Hurd for now.

There's also:

GNU 0.2 (no link as it's obsolete)
Gentoo GNU/Hurd (http://hurd.rustedhalo.net/about.php)
Bee GNU/Hurd
(http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers/2003-07/msg00332.html)

> If we do this, I would highly recommend that someone updates the Debian
> GNU/Hurd port page for the Hurd before that.

I don't understand what you mean here, what do these (mutualy exclussive)
tasks mean:

> 1. Update the Debian GNU/Hurd pages.
> [...]
> 2. Write a GNU/Hurd page that is content-wise comparable to what the current
>    web page has on installation of the GNU/Hurd (under The Hurd Install or
>    whatever else is around)

> How does this sound to you?

Pretty nice.

--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T, Ainulindale (Silmarillion)