wesnoth-dev

Re: [Wesnoth-dev] New naga units

From: John McNabb
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] New naga units
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 11:51:00 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 2 May 2005, Richard Kettering wrote:
> I don't plan on implementing the naga units until I have at least all
> the base graphics for the following lines done:
>
> The guardian line (3 levels)
> The poison archer line. (3 levels)
>
> These may be all the units the race has - I won't know unit they get
> tested in multi (they are at least as deserving as the saurians of
> having their own entry in classic) and it can be determined if the race
> has any outstanding weaknesses that call for a new unit, rather than
> other changes, to balance them.
>
> The are fairly easy to animate, and will receive that treatment in
> *very* short order (especially so because they require no directional
> animations).

<snip>

> This, however, falls back to an old argument, which I truly don't care
> to rehash.

I really think that we should not include units that are not fully
animated, even for testing purposes.  We should not be in a rush to get
new units into mainline wesnoth.  There are, for example, several drake
advancements that have good artwork done, but no animations yet.  While I
would like to see them included, I don't think that they should go in
until they are fully animated.

This is not because I don't believe that you will finish what you start on
these art projects; you have definately demonstrated your persistence in
accomplishing the tasks that you set for yourself.  The precedent,
however, is quite bad, even if we ignore the possibility of the proverbial
truck running you over.

There are several units that I would like to see go in that are fully
animated, such as some of shadow's dwarven units.  Surely these deserve
consideration and testing before units that have not been animated yet.

If testing is absoultely needed on these units, it probably should be done
via a mechanism like scott's custom era (at least I think it was scott,
since I (still/again) can't check the forum).  I also would not oppose the
inclusion of the artwork in CVS, but I really don't think that unit
files should be included until all the animations are done.

OK, I'll shut up now.
darth fool

        "In theory, theory and practice are the same,
                but in practice they're different."
John W. C. McNabb