wesnoth-dev

Re: [Wesnoth-dev] A WML idea: import

From: Yann Dirson
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] A WML idea: import
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 23:08:56 +0200

On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 03:22:20PM -0500, David White wrote:
> This idea isn't nearly as sophisticated as silene's module system
> proposal some time ago, but on the other hand I think it is much easier
> to implement. The main thing it does provide is assurance against being
> unable to load the game's core WML document because a user campaign has
> an error.
>
> Any thoughts?

What striked me as most useful in silene's proposal was that another
safeguard: if a user campaign redefines a standard unit, that modified
unit would only be seen by the relevant campaign.  I do not think your
"import" idea would protect us from such a case, which is probably
harder to pinpoint than a "simple" error.

That said, I still have a strong opinion that such a way of doing
things (eg. overriding a standard unit) is very bad practice, and that
eg. distinct units starting as copies of standard ones should be used
instead.  Maybe we could have a safeguard against such a practice,
although I'm not sure how easy it would be to implement one.

--
Yann Dirson    <address@hidden> |
Debian-related: <address@hidden> |   Support Debian GNU/Linux:
     http://ydirson.free.fr/        | Check <http://www.debian.org/>