wesnoth-dev

Re: [Wesnoth-dev] A WML idea: import

From: David White
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] A WML idea: import
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 17:09:15 -0500

Yann Dirson wrote:

On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 03:22:20PM -0500, David White wrote:
This idea isn't nearly as sophisticated as silene's module system proposal some time ago, but on the other hand I think it is much easier to implement. The main thing it does provide is assurance against being unable to load the game's core WML document because a user campaign has an error.

Any thoughts?

What striked me as most useful in silene's proposal was that another
safeguard: if a user campaign redefines a standard unit, that modified
unit would only be seen by the relevant campaign.  I do not think your
"import" idea would protect us from such a case, which is probably
harder to pinpoint than a "simple" error.

That said, I still have a strong opinion that such a way of doing
things (eg. overriding a standard unit) is very bad practice, and that
eg. distinct units starting as copies of standard ones should be used
instead.  Maybe we could have a safeguard against such a practice,
although I'm not sure how easy it would be to implement one.
Well, I think the simple, easy, and correct solution is simply to forbid campaigns from re-definining units. Only the first unit with a certain ID will be used; others will be rejected.

If user campaigns want to 'redefine' a unit, they can create an identical one, with a slightly different ID.

However your point does raise another problem: by 'default', the [+units] syntax used to add more units wouldn't work in an imported document. We'd probably have to make importing have the capacity to do this.

David