wesnoth-dev

Re: [Wesnoth-dev] A WML idea: import

From: David White
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] A WML idea: import
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 17:00:41 -0500

Guillaume Melquiond wrote:

On 5/8/05, David White wrote:
Perhaps we can add a simple module system to Wesnoth very easily: by
adding a WML command called 'import'. It would work something like this,

import "path"

Any thoughts?

I have one concern. User campaigns (as do mainline campaigns) rely on
some core macros; for example MENU_IMG_TXT. If imported, the campaigns
won't know about these macros (it's even worse, they redefine them
then, because they believe it is an old Wesnoth version). So the user
campaigns would have to preprocess the core macros too, in order for
them to be available. This is not an issue: it would not be the first
change to WML that is not backward compatible. But I was wondering if
you had another solution in mind in order to deal with the #defines.
Yes, my solution to that was the same as yours: they would have to preprocess the core macros too, by specifying 'standard' Wesnoth cfg files to {include}.

This would be somewhat inefficient, but how bad it would be I'm not sure.

David