wesnoth-dev

Re: [Wesnoth-dev] New multiplayer chat preferences

From: Andreas Grosse
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] New multiplayer chat preferences
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 20:07:24 +0200

Hi there,

on Ott's request I reviewed my patches again and submitted them to
tracker as ID 4047:
https://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/index.php?func=detailitem&item_id=4047

It is still the same functionality and applies to the latest CVS
version. I checked the changes made by DarthFool and decided not to put
my preferences in the "Advanced" section, but to stick with the
Multiplayer tab, for the following reasons:

I don't think that the "Advanced" tab is needed, and it might have
negative effects. Enabling non-binary saves is in my opinion a feature
which is not neeeded by normal users and it encourages cheating since
modifying the save game is easier. I think having this configurable is a
good thing, but via console would suffice. Besides, the advanced tab is
the perfect place for developers to put all their stuff which didn't fit
elsewhere, which is a bad habit. And, as the last point, it looks
different than all other tabs, and it's user interface is not very
intuitive. But that might be a different discussion. </rant> :-)

I also checked if I could somehow use the timestamp code DarthFool uses
for his theme, but that doesn't work. I'd suggest that someone with more
experience than me checks for all usages of time() and strftime() calls
and builds a generic utils::time object (or something like that), to
counter re-coding the same stuff over and over.
What I took from DarthFools code is the preferences::clock_format() for
the chat timestamp, so that is configurable now as well.

Anyway, I already got lots of positive feedback for my patch, so I hope
that it does finally make it into mainstream wesnoth; I am really
reluctant to review the patches once a month to make them again apply.

    majestyk