wesnoth-dev

Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Tired of fighting the wind mills of cool

From: David White
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Tired of fighting the wind mills of cool
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 22:04:33 -0500

Sanna,

Thank you for your contributions to the project, and I wish you well in future endeavours.

This however, reinforces to me something I have been considering for a while: at a time when Wesnoth leads strong leadership to form a clear direction and purpose between different groups each of whom want to turn development in a different direction, I have failed to provide this leadership.

I have been too busy, besides becoming sick and tired of the infighting and debates about different features that contributors apparently feel very passionately about. The project has become far too aimless, a ship that doesn't have a clear course, but is rather pushed about in different directions according to which contributor has the most energy to push it the hardest.

Now all I want to do is perhaps quietly code a few features in my rather limited free time; not debate whether some unit should have a cold or fire attack, or if High Elves and 'Wood Elves' should be part of one faction, or whether Drakes should be in the game, or if some new unit set should be added, or any one of an immense number of things that my opinion is asked of.

Because of this, I feel that someone else who has more time, passion, and a clear future direction for the project should take over to lead it where they will. I am happy to continue as the technical lead for the moment if the person taking over is not technical enough to take that responsibility. Otherwise, I will happily slink back and become a minor contributor.

This of course leaves the question of who is the best person to take leadership of the project. I won't name any names, but I will throw the floor open for nominations. The ideal candidate should most importantly have good support amongst the Wesnoth community, have time and passion for the project, be committed to Free Software ideals, and have contributed substantially to the project already.

If Wesnoth is to be a successful FLOSS project, it *must* have a strong leader. It is of course possible that there is simply no longer the interest to sustain Wesnoth development going much further. If that is the way of things, then so be it.

I would also like to thank everyone for their excellent contributions to the project. Wesnoth has only been successful due to contributions from people too numerous to name.

Oh, and, Lisa and I would love to catch you for a game sometime Sanna. :)

David

Susanna Björverud wrote:

Hej allesammans,

Recently I have discovered that I cannot even be bothered to protest against additions and changes to the game that I think are blatantly wrong. This to me is a clear indication that I should not really be around. I have therefore decided that I need a break from wesnoth development.

Practical details:

With 30 translations ongoing, there is no way Ivanovic can handle them all himself, he needs help. Okada (the japanese translator) has several times indicated that he is willing to help. I will stay around a while to allow you to find someone.

Currently I stand as owner of the irc channels wesnoth and wesnoth-dev, I think it would be better if these were taken over by someone else.

I will probably be around from time to time, but not on a daily basis, and I do not want any developer responsibilities. Please remove me. I might compile cvs now and then, and even show up looking for a game. *smile*

I wish you the best of luck in the continuing work of making Wesnoth the best game ever. Have fun!

/Sanna