wesnoth-dev

Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Advanced preferences and plaintext savefiles

From: Andreas Grosse
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Advanced preferences and plaintext savefiles
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 21:46:02 +0200

Asa Swain <address@hidden> [27:05:05 17:50] wrote:
>    Au contraire, I think adding the non-binary saves option to the
>    preferences window is a VETY important feature and should not be removed.
>    We have always had plaintext saves until recently, and I don't remember
>    "cheating" being an problem. Besides it isn't our job to keep people from
>    editing their savefiles or cheating in a single player game. It's like the
>    issue of save/loading, we should let people play the game however they
>    want.

I wonder what the fuss is about that cheating issue. I mentioned it in a
subordinate clause, as one point of five?, and definitely not the main
reason. If I would have known that it is a hot topic, I would have left
it out completely.

When I was talking about removing, I did not mean to remove the feature,
I meant to remove the tab for enabling/disabling it.

>    Secondly for non-linux users using the command line isn't as easy as you
>    may think. I think there are a lot of mac and windows developers who might
>    be confused by having to use command line commands to edit savefiles.
>    Having an advanced preferences window is so much easier to use.

And as I was talking about the console, I primarily meant the in-game
console. Having the binary saves as a in-game console command would be
sufficient for developers, and hide that setting from people who would
most likely never need it.

Cheers,
    majestyk