wesnoth-dev

[Wesnoth-dev] 1.0 and Versioning

From: David White
Subject: [Wesnoth-dev] 1.0 and Versioning
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 17:09:35 -0500

I think that after 1.0 we should probably switch into two branches: the 1.1 branch which is unstable and involves new development toward 1.2. The 1.0 branch would be stable, and most importantly, would maintain the same ruleset -- units would have the same stats etc. It might get improvements from the 1.1 branch in areas that are easy to improve though, like better graphics, and perhaps interface improvements.

I think that something we should aim for though is for all 1.0 branch versions to be compatible with each other -- that is, version 1.0.1 could play multiplayer with version 1.0.3.

The reason that this isn't all fanciful thinking about the future when we have to ship 1.0 now is that we are going to have to do something with version comparisons if this is going to work -- at the moment the game won't let 1.0.1 play with 1.0.3. One way to do this would be to have a game version, and then a 'ruleset version'. As long as the ruleset versions are equal, the games can play with each other. Another -- perhaps simpler -- way of doing it would be to modify the way Wesnoth compares versions for equality. We could, for instance, store version 1.0.1 as "1.0_1" and tell Wesnoth to only compare things before the '_' to see if versions are compatible.

Thoughts on if and how we should do this?

David