Re: [XBoard-devel] gtk update

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] gtk update
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 23:46:43 +0200

The good news is that ubuntu 10.04 can compile the gtk-xt branch.
It seems already broken, though: when I startup XBoard-gtk-xt with
Fairy-Max, none of the variants are enabled in the New Variant menu.

The buttons in the Game List window are unwieldly large, and in their
current layout dominate the width of the window completely. They should
be made a lot smaller, or put in two rows above each other, or simply
omitted. (I don't know if there are still people that actualy use these
buttons. Normally you simply click the game you want to load.
This makes even stepping through the list redundant, but people that
want to do it will use the keyboard arrows for that, making the Up/Down
buttons the secondary backup system.)

There seems to be a problem with exposure events indeed.

The Y axis of the eval graph should leave a little bit more margin for
the axis labels, as the +5 now is a bit too large to fit. Otherwise it
looks nice.

The GTK file browser looks very nice. I had a problem that it popped
up behind the main window, though (just like the browser I had
written myself popped up behind the dialog that summoned it,
the second time). The Xt part could be responsible for this, though,
the window manager for some reason giving focus back to the main
window.