Re: [XBoard-devel] Refactored master

From: Byrial Jensen
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Refactored master
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 17:12:11 +0200

Den 10-04-2012 16:44, Byrial Jensen skrev:
Den 10-04-2012 14:52, h.g. muller skrev:
Oh, I figured it out (partly). There apparently is a po/POTFILES.in that
had to be updated, and it still contained references to the filebrowser/*
source files. I fixed that now, and "make distcheck" works. I also did
a "make update-po" in the po directory, and pushed the po/pot files to
Savannah master.

I can unpack the tar ball and build XBoard from it. After

./configure
make
sudo make install

it runs fine, except that it does not seem to be internationalized. It has
the low buttons and line spacing, and "LANG=de_DE.utf8 xboard" does
not produce any translations. I have been in such a state before, and
it is probably just due to something I am doing wrong. I don't know what
brought me out of it last time (it was not a conscious action).

You don't see any translations because the program runs in the C locale. You need to call setlocale(LC_ALL, "") to change to the locale defined by environment variables.

I looked at it some more. It seems that the XT call XtSetLanguageProc(NULL, NULL, NULL) also will set the locale, and that's why Xboard used to work with NLS without calling setlocale().

However the locale must be set before the call to bindtextdomain(). In the refactored master it comes later. That is reason it doesn't work there.