Re: [XBoard-devel] Refactored master

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Refactored master
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 11:24:19 +0100

I would avoid calling gettext() with anything not intended to to translated.

Yes, well, this is a bit difficult when the text is coming from a static table that can contain some elements that need translation, and others that don't. Passing a NULL pointer for the text is unfortunately already used as a signal to omit the widget completely (this was needed for the tags popup in case of cmail, I think: that had an optional extra message field). I could of course test explicitly for an empty string, and suppress translation if it occurs. Or, more generally, introduce a NO_GETTEXT flag with Label Options as well. (Btw, I guess that for ComboBox options that flag is nowhere used anymore, now the engine-select has been changed to ListBoxes, the content of which is never translated.) But all those solutions seemed a lot longer than adding the 4 bytes needed to turn empty strings into spaces, just adding unnecessary complexity for no clear benifit. Surely gettext must always be resistent to a missing translation.