Re: [XBoard-devel] Xboard 4.9 status?

From: H.G. Muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Xboard 4.9 status?
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 22:58:25 +0100

Well, I just released Fairy-Max 5.0. So I can concentrate on XBoard now.

In intensively using the latter during Fairy-Max development, I noticed a few glitches: - Right-clicking in the engine-output window on a PV to walk it as a 'variation board' is a bit sick for me. It is supposed to highlight the currently walked PV in yellow (GTK version). It actually does that, and removes the highlight when you terminate the PV walk by releasing the mouse button. BUT ONLY THE FIRST TIME! When I then right-click that same PV again, there is no highlight. When I click another one I did not click before, there again is. - Sometimes when I am PV walking, the entire content of the pane is cleared when a new PV comes in. I could not find any systematics in that. I wonder if these two problems are simply bugs in my GTK library. Do people with more recent Linux versions than I have have any of these problems? - In Edit Position mode, sometimes strange things happen: a piece that I move, suddenly re-appears at the square I took it from. I have not had time to figure out what causes this. - When I start XBoard with a -loadPositionFile argument, it starts with a message 'White to play', which it doesn't display later, when I start another game. It also does not accept a sequence of moves pasted into it in that state, which it does on later games. So it is in some sort of incorrect state at this point. I want to fix that too. - Tamerlane Chess has all Pawns promote differently, which basically makes them different piece types. There is no good support for that in XBoard yet, and Evert Glebbeek has written a Tamerlane Chess engine. I am thinking of adding support for this in the pieceToCharTable, where a piece that has a hyphen defined as ID for it will be considered a Pawn (i.e. no piece ID used for it in SAN), and would be indicated as the piece to which it promotes (according to the XBoard pairing rule for promoted and unpromoted types) prefixed with a - in FEN. - I am unhappy that <Enter> does not act as accelerator for 'OK' in dialogs when you are typing in a (single-line) text-entry field in GTK. Perhaps the GenericPopup dialog constructor should add an event handler for this to all text entries.

Otherwise we seem to be OK.