Re: [XBoard-devel] 4.9.0 what's new

From: H.G. Muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] 4.9.0 what's new
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 11:14:56 +0200

Op 3/30/2016 om 7:33 PM schreef Joshua Pettus:
I wish I could of thought of this sooner.  Perhaps we will just put it on the
shelf for later.

It would be awful, awful nice if there were some sort of menu for gtk fonts
(similar to what we have with winboard).
We think amazingly alike, lately. Just 5 min before I opened your mail I was wondering precisely that (triggered by Michael B's complaint on TalkChess).
   Right now there isn’t a simple way outside of editing the config
file/commandline for users to configure font sizes for

-clockFont  -coordFont -messageFont -icsFont -tagsFont and -commentFont

Depending on their monitor resolution, I’m sure people would like to adjust
(Though I bet a restart would be required…)
XBoard used to be based on the idea that the font size should be related to the square size, because people with better monitor resolution would typically choose larger boards. I am not sure this assumption is still valid.

 From what I have seen from your descriptions, there aren’t many options
outside of generic:
Normal, Sans, Serif, and Monospace

And with the types:
Normal, Bold, Italics

Correct?
I basically know nothing about GTK fonts, and whether it would be possible for people to install their own fonts. If it is like you say it would be pretty trivial to add a dialog that for each application has two comboboxes (Sans / Serif / Monospace and Normal / Bold / Italic) and a spin for the point size. Even simpler would be to have a text entry where people could type the font name.

It might be tricky to have a new font setting take effect during a session, though. At least when it pertains to a window that is already open. Changing the font in a widget often changes its height.

I think those could easily be combo boxes.  And size could of course be a
normal integer box with a check box to the side for scale to board size.
What do you think?

Josh