Re: [XBoard-devel] 4.9.0 what's new

From: H.G. Muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] 4.9.0 what's new
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 18:21:43 +0200

Op 3/31/2016 om 2:45 PM schreef Joshua Pettus:
You’re right, they are!  But for some strange reason I don’t see them actually being implemented.  It looks like just the strings from that one file are affected.  Have you tried the Netherlands localization in linux?  Is it just my implementation?

I guess this is a bug/oversight in the GTK GenericPopUp routine: The N_() macro used to mark the option names is just a marker used on strings that are not immediately used (but just sitting in some table) to make the translation software notice them. At the point where these tables are actually used you will still have to surround them with _(). So in thi scas, in gtk/xoptions.c

      case TextBox:
      case FileName:
      case PathName:
      tBox:
            label = gtk_label_new(option[i].name);

the last line should have been

            label = gtk_label_new(_(option[i].name));

to feed the string to gettext() and retrieve the translation. That would take care of string, file and path options; for buttons, checkboxes and functionless labels there are similar references to option[i].name that should also be enclosed with _(). Basically everywhere, except when used for the help clicks (as the manuals are not translated, and getting English help seems preferable over getting no help at all).

I will fix this. Still thinking about the Fonts dialog...

How about a text entry followed on the same row by +, -, B and I buttons for increasing/decreasing point size and switching on/off bold or italic in the font name in the text entry? And then one for each window type? A bit similar to the color pickers in the board dialog. And perhaps some global text to point out that the generic typeFace names are Sans, Serif and Monospace. It would of course be a nice touch if the setting was actually applied to font name, so the user can see how it looks.