Re: [XForms] fl_library_version function

From: Michal Szymanski
Subject: Re: [XForms] fl_library_version function
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 15:10:58 +0100

Hi all,

I plan to add some extra input on the topic, mostly related to fdesign
but for now, let me just draw your attention to a point which is
potentially messy, as new versioning scheme is discussed.

After noticing that some API changes got incompatible with previous
versions, we have already changed the shared library MAJOR version
number to "2" which, according to the state-of-the-art line, should be
given to the xforms-2.0 library version :(

The only way to get out of this (IMHO) would be to switch the current
1.0.94preN either to 2.0 or, if we do not think it is stable enough, to
2.1. Or, maybe, as suggested by LukenShiro, to 1.9.xx - if the "common
rules" allow such a version to be treated as pre-2 release and, as such,
to be linked into lib*.2.0.0 shared objects.

regards, Michal.

--
  Michal Szymanski (msz at astrouw dot edu dot pl)
  Warsaw University Observatory, Warszawa, POLAND