xlog-discussion

Re: [Xlog-discussion] Red Hat version 9

From: w9ya
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] Red Hat version 9
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:32:34 -0500 (EST)

> On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 address@hidden wrote:
>
>> Hey Karl and the gang;
>>
>> Here is some hopefully relevant info from my Mandrake 10.0 Official
>> (mdk.rpm) system. (I modified Joop's rpm spec file slightly to
>> accommodate Mandrake's Pentium bias and penchant for bzip instead of
>> gzip files.) The compile was without incident and subsequent rpm(s)
>> seem fine.)
>>
>> address@hidden SPECS]# urpmf libexpat.so.1
>> address@hidden SPECS]# urpmf libexpat
>> libexpat0:/usr/lib/libexpat.so.0
>> libexpat0:/usr/lib/libexpat.so.0.4.0
>> libexpat0-devel:/usr/include/expat.h
>> libexpat0-devel:/usr/lib/libexpat.a
>> libexpat0-devel:/usr/lib/libexpat.la
>> libexpat0-devel:/usr/lib/libexpat.so
>> libexpat0-devel:/usr/share/doc/expat-1.95.6
>> libexpat0-devel:/usr/share/doc/expat-1.95.6/reference.html
>> address@hidden SPECS]# rpm -qa|grep -i libexpat
>> libexpat0-1.95.6-4mdk
>> libexpat0-devel-1.95.6-4mdk
>> address@hidden SPECS]#
>>
>> Very best regards;
>>
>> Bob Finch
>> w9ya
>
>       If I new anything about making a rpm file I'm sure what you sent
> would make sense. I see your loading things into the /usr/ directory.
> But beyound that it's Greek to me. I think Mandrake has taken huge
> liberties with rpm. And their lib fill is quite differnet than Red Hat.
> This has caused Xlog to not run on Red Hat.

Hey Karl;

Um, I have heard similar complaints about Mandrake. I work with both Red
Hat and Mandrake and many other distros. When it comes to working with
something like Xlog I am not sure such differences between how the various
distros use rpm matters at all at the working level.

As I pointed out, I ended up modifying Joop's source not one bit and his
rpm "recipe" (the spec file) only slightly. I could have used his "recipe"
without any changes as well. You point out below that you do not work with
source and make rpm packages out of it. So for someone who does not
routinely make up packages, suffice this to mean that any differences
between distros not a problem with Xlog per say.

I would also like to point out that as a rule I use generic rpms and only
occasionally run into problems because they were written to work for only
one distro. But it would also be fair to say that many rpms are written,
compiled, and packaged up for only one distro. As long as you can get a
generic spec file, such specifics can usually be dealt with. In the case
of Xlog Joop has offered up the source, instructions, and a rpm spec file,
so working with his code is relatively simple. I am sure someone with
Tomi's skill level will find the solution for your problem quite quickly.

You wrote above about "lib fill". I assume you mean placement of the
various files inside of an rpm package. The resulting "lib fill" is
essentially the same on a Mandrake box as a Red Hat box for all relevant
intents. i.e. The libs all are located and work well in each of the
distros as a rule.

I guess I am not sure that the differences between rpm distros is anything
to worry about. I am sure that your problem is not related to that in any
event. All of which means that the your problem could be older software on
Red Hat 9. Or it could be a corrupted rpm database. Or some other
specifics not related to Joop writing his rpm spec file for any particular
distro. In fact Joop's rpm seems to me like it most probably written with
Red Hat in mind and NOT Mandrake.

Hope this gives you some new understanding and helps you out some.

Very 73 OM;

Bob Finch
w9ya