Fwd: Staff Names: some comments

From: Joe Wilkinson
Subject: Fwd: Staff Names: some comments
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2022 13:10:16 +0000

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: Staff Names: some comments
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2022 10:49:33 +0000
From: Joe Wilkinson <joeandangela@btinternet.com>
To: Richard Shann <richard@rshann.plus.com>

On 02/12/2022 19:42, Richard Shann wrote:
On Fri, 2022-12-02 at 19:29 +0000, Joe Wilkinson wrote:
 Hi Richard: It looks as if the individual instruments should be easy
to add (sort of, as my midi is not VERY tone-accurate).
yes, I would expect so - but I don't at all recall what is involved.
When I looked I saw that each instrument was a .denemo file so I'm
guessing that what you write below is gleaned by looking at examples???
Yes, in denemo.share.denemo.templates (from where I extracted table data).
I'm sure there is a reason for it but there seems a lot of redundant and repeated info in these files, as if each could be used to set up a New denemo file, but presumably in an existing file most would be overridden by existing values, e.g key or time signature
 The staff-range lo & hi are presumably what is used to register
notes "out of range of instrument"
 I assume "0" is Middle C since a flute starts there. Guitar would
start 12 notes below Middle C which is  G and rise to the first D on
the top string (which wouldn't give many rock guitarists much scope).
The piccolo must start on D transposed up an octave; the Alto Sax
start on -1 + (transpose) -9 or 10 notes below middle C which would
be an E (flat) as expected.
 And the midi programme number is tabulated somewhere.
I think if you go to the Staff->Built in properties and select the MIDI
tab and choose the instrument you get to see the program number
belonging to it (in the GM soundfont, which is what is being used).
Only true if it has been preset. Else you get a drop down with a blank value on it and can then choose the midi sound, presumably irrespective of the Instrument that you had it previously set to.
 But are the rest of the items significant; has figures and has fake
chords mean nothing to me.
you wouldn't be touching those - what interface has brought them to
your attention? (They are things that get set if you make a staff a
chord staff or put figured bass on the staff).
¡Eccelente! Always good to know what to ignore.
 Midi channel presumably is decided by denemo, since when I change it
I get a complaint!
Yes, the channel is not part of the instrument (well, there's some
complication about drums ...)

 Is this a case of its being set by an (If (number=true) then use
number, else use default) process?
???
As above (time, key sigs): so much redundant info that some must be ignored
 There are only 4-5 "Brass instruments" given a midi channel;
do you mean in the GM soundfont spec?
Yes: I'd imagine that we are not expecting GM to provide special timbres (e.g.for brass and silver trumpets).
or for Strad or Amati violins
assume that, for example, a cornet would use a "trumpet" midi with a
different range.
 I am happy to do the basic ones if you wish. And I'd correct the
guitars to have the right names (the acoustic guitar comes in a Steel
Guitar) and a larger range.
that would be good. The "range" is only a display thing - you get
warned by red notes in the display when you enter a note outside the
"range". What actual range is present in the GM soundfont I don't
know...

I'll have some further investigation and try creating a few templates.

Best wishes
Joe