Re: POLL: make C-x o transient

From: Kévin Le Gouguec
Subject: Re: POLL: make C-x o transient
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2021 12:32:36 +0100

Zhiwei Chen <chenzhiwei03@kuaishou.com> writes:

> Which will make `C-x o` invoke a transient version of `other-window' like
> `text-scale-adjust’ does.

Heartfelt agreement.  I have a somewhat dumber version of your
transient-other-window in my config; I'd love to scrap it for another
entry in custom-set-variables.

Two improvements I never bothered implementing, but I'd love to see in a
builtin command:

1. Display something in the echo area, to remind me that the transient
   map is active: once in a blue moon, I move to another window, think
   for a bit (forgetting about the map), start typing something that
   begins with 'o', and get startled because I moved to another window.

   With some luck, a message would help remind me to hit C-g first.

2. Define the keymap outside transient-other-window?  I'm sure some
   creative users will come up with interesting commands to add to it
   (e.g. 'b' for switch-to-buffer).

Of course, I'd be delighted if your current version made it to Emacs
core; I wouldn't want this to be delayed by feature creep :)