Re: What's missing in ELisp that makes people want to use cl-lib?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: What's missing in ELisp that makes people want to use cl-lib?
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 14:37:11 +0100

Po Lu wrote:

>> So it's not true what you said originally that everytime
>> you find a cl-list* it can be cleanly replaced by nconc.
>> Not if you understand or even appreciate
>> function composition.
>
> I don't appreciate "function combination," whatever that is.

Composition - it is

  y = f(g(x))

or what is sometimes called set, aggregate or most often
perhaps higher-order functions, HOFs. [1]

Yes, those are indispensible - and I think present in C as
well, actually, by means of function pointers. But they are
much easier to handle in Lisp.

Writing such functions manually with loops etc is very much
not recommended whenever there are HOFs that do that already.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higher-order_function

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal