Re: [Pre-PATCH] Overhaul of the LaTeX preview system

From: Konstantinos Chousos
Subject: Re: [Pre-PATCH] Overhaul of the LaTeX preview system
Date: Fri, 05 May 2023 21:53:49 +0300

(Don't mind the mail change, still the same guy. Just started dabbling
in email in Emacs and gmail works better for that).

> From your diagnostic report, it looks like you're using lualatex +
> precompilation.  This can cause some issues, but not the ones you
> report above so this is interesting.

If I remember correctly, when I run the test I had precompilation turned
off, because with it =lualatex= didn't work, but the diagnostics kept
thinking it was on. Even so, it is currently disabled.

>> 1. When a snippet contains a mistake, it correctly turns red, but no
>> error message is shown when I hover my mouse over it. I have to
>> switch to the *Org Preview LaTeX Output* to see the error.
>
> This is a bug, could you list the steps to reproduce it?

All my relevant configuration was attached in my previous message. If it
helps, my complete Emacs configuration resides at
https://github.com/kchousos/Emacs/blob/master/Emacs.org. The only
noteworthy thing I can think of is that i use Wayland. Also, my Emacs'
version is =29.0.90= and found at
https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/majore-biscuit/Emacs-29/. After
that, the steps were the following:

1. Use TEC's org-mode =dev= branch, up to the =---NOPUSH PERSONAL
   DIVIDER---= commit.
2. Set some config options, which can be in the above link.
3. Test the new features.
4. When a latex fragment contained an error, its color would turn red,
   but no popup would appear on hover, or ever for that matter.

   My temporary solution is to directly check the =*Org Preview LaTeX
   Output*= buffer.

> We don't think live previews will be ready or stable enough in time
> for Org 9.7, so it is not currently part of the patch set.

That's too bad, it looked really neat and useful.

> It's available as a later WIP (work in progress) commit on
> tecosaur's dev branch, if you are interested in trying it.

I noticed that but as I said above, I already use that branch. Perhaps
the bug with the error popups and this are related? After all, both have
to do with popups. Also it is important to note that I have already set
the configuration variables that are relevant to the /live/ preview (at
least those that I could find).

All in all this is a huge improvement and a quality-of-life upgrade for
all org-mode users. Thank you both for your work.