Re: [Pre-PATCH] Overhaul of the LaTeX preview system

From: Karthik Chikmagalur
Subject: Re: [Pre-PATCH] Overhaul of the LaTeX preview system
Date: Fri, 05 May 2023 13:05:38 -0700

> 1. Use TEC's org-mode =dev= branch, up to the =---NOPUSH PERSONAL
>    DIVIDER---= commit.
> 2. Set some config options, which can be in the above link.
> 3. Test the new features.
> 4. When a latex fragment contained an error, its color would turn red,
>    but no popup would appear on hover, or ever for that matter.
>
>    My temporary solution is to directly check the =*Org Preview LaTeX
>    Output*= buffer.

Is tooltip-mode turned on?

>> We don't think live previews will be ready or stable enough in time
>> for Org 9.7, so it is not currently part of the patch set.
>
> That's too bad, it looked really neat and useful.

We'd like to focus on improving the user experience of the core features
first.  If these issues are cleaned up before 9.7, I will work on
polishing the live previews feature.

>> It's available as a later WIP (work in progress) commit on
>> tecosaur's dev branch, if you are interested in trying it.
>
> I noticed that but as I said above, I already use that branch. Perhaps
> the bug with the error popups and this are related? After all, both have
> to do with popups. Also it is important to note that I have already set
> the configuration variables that are relevant to the /live/ preview (at
> least those that I could find).

There is no documentation for live-previews yet.  If you would like
to try it -- and I encourage you to -- you could set:

(setq org-latex-preview-auto-generate 'live)

and then turn on `org-latex-preview-auto-mode'.  The variables
`org-latex-preview-throttle' and `org-latex-preview-debounce' control
the responsiveness of the live previews.

If the live preview is not removed automatically after you move away
from a LaTeX fragment, you might have to manually eval
`(org-latex-preview-live--clearout)'.  This is one of the many edge
cases with the feature that need to be handled.

> All in all this is a huge improvement and a quality-of-life upgrade for
> all org-mode users. Thank you both for your work.

Thank you! The testing is very helpful as well.

-Karthik