Re: [Pre-PATCH] Overhaul of the LaTeX preview system

From: Karthik Chikmagalur
Subject: Re: [Pre-PATCH] Overhaul of the LaTeX preview system
Date: Mon, 08 May 2023 13:04:10 -0700

> Yeah, it kinda works ok now. It is kinda slow, but it probably takes
> the same time as the normal previews. May the fact that I use
> `lualatex' be the culprit?

This checks out.  I tested previews with lualatex for a bit, and it's
about 8-10x slower than pdflatex.  One big chunk of this gap is the
absence of precompilation, the rest appears to be inherent to lualatex.
I'm not familiar with lualatex, so if someone knows how it can be sped
up I'd be glad to be educated.  For now I'd recommend using pdflatex for
LaTeX previews.

As a result of this issue (plus other issues with xelatex), I'm
considering adding an option to specify different LaTeX compilers for
previews and exports, with the default option continuing to be
the value of `org-latex-compiler'.

> Both `buffer' and `eldoc' work as expected. Although, when I use `eldoc' and
> use the `eldoc-box' package, nothing is shown. But, this probably isn't
> in the scope of this conversation and it's really secondary.

I've had trouble getting LaTeX environments to show via eldoc in the
echo-area, whereas eldoc-box has worked fine.  I'm making a note to
investigate this later.

> I tried setting `org-latex-preview-default-process' to `dvipng' and
> found that previews as well appear blank. Don't know what might be the
> problem.

Is this in the context of previews or HTML exports?

-Karthik