Re: BUG: org-cycle does not unfold some subtrees

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: BUG: org-cycle does not unfold some subtrees
Date: Mon, 08 May 2023 14:32:16 -1000

"Thomas S. Dye" <tsd@tsdye.online> writes:

For me, the bug bites intermittently.  I often run an Emacs
instance for more than a week before I'm bitten, so it will likely
be a long process to work through the packages loaded on top of
what Spacemacs loads to make a reproducer.

Others in this thread appear to be affected more frequently. So, you may
get lucky just by following the thread.

Also, I anticipate a problem deciding that removing a package has squashed the bug; will two weeks without the bug be long enough?
Three?  Four or more?

You can try
M-x debug-on-variable-change <RET> org-fold-core-style <RET>

In case it's helpful, I set debug-on-variable-change as you suggested but was bitten by the bug without triggering the debugger.

I was alerted to the bug bite when I noticed some folded content after the ellipsis on two headlines, both of which folded and unfolded without issue (modulo the content after the ellipsis). In both cases, the content after the ellipsis consisted of links from an Org table, and just those links. When I fold the parent of a misbehaving headline, the links follow the fold and show up after the ellipsis of the parent. The headline that would not unfold did not have content after the ellipsis.

I have some ideas about what might have triggered the problem with links after ellipses and will check systematically when I find time.

Let me know if you have questions.

All the best,
Tom

--