Re: [POLL] Should we accept breaking changes to get rid of Org libraries

From: Russell Adams
Subject: Re: [POLL] Should we accept breaking changes to get rid of Org libraries that perform side effects when loading?
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 16:20:21 +0200

On Thu, Aug 24, 2023 at 01:41:39PM +0000, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> > Regressions are not the end of the world. Org does too much and grew
> > very fast, which is not sustainable.
>
> But they should not be taken lightly either.
> https://bzg.fr/en/the-software-maintainers-pledge/

I wouldn't recommend taking them lightly, but I think "never" is too
strong a word.

Org's grown so much and so fast, and has limited maintainer time. If
the choice is between keeping Org up to date in Emacs and working,
versus a problem feature, then it's appropriate to remove problems for
the health of the core.

Let's not remove on a whim.

                                    https://www.adamsinfoserv.com/