Re: [DISCUSSION] Re-design of inlinetasks

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: [DISCUSSION] Re-design of inlinetasks
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 17:25:04 +0000

Ihor Radchenko writes:

> Although, the name "inlinetask" is actually awkward in such use case.
> Something like inlinesection would fit better. Or inlineheading.

Completely agree. I like inlinesection and inlineheading equally.

> And what about drawers? Don't they fit the idea of "detached" element?

But drawers would not serve as a "detached section"... Although they are
certainly very versatile. I usually use drawers to export as small
"containers". And when I don't export them, they are very useful for
temporarily saving all kinds of "things". In Spanish we have the term
"cajón de sastre" (lit.: "a tailor drawer") to refer to something where
you can store everything :-)

As for the inlinetask (or whatever they may be called in the future),
the fact that they are a kind of hybrid between a section (unrelated to
the level hierarchy) and a drawer seems very interesting to me. Apart
from the scenario of the anonymous sections that I mentioned before, I
can think of a few more. For example, something like this:

*************** WORKING Complete this :noexport:
                DEADLINE: <2023-08-27 dom>
                Content
*************** END

And the combination of org-store-link with org-transclusion can also be
interesting.

Or, for example this other example, which is not possible now, but with
some modification in org-mime-org-subtree-htmlize I think it is:

*************** TODO Email this
                DEADLINE: <2023-08-27 dom>
                :PROPERTIES:
                :mail_to:  mail address
                :mail_subject: mail subject
                :END:
                Content

Well, it's some scattered ideas. In general I think that
"inlinesection/-heading"
is an element that could be very productive in certain cases, since it
allows to "locally" suspend the (necessary) rigidity of the tree hierarchy.

--
Juan Manuel Macías

https://juanmanuelmacias.com

https://lunotipia.juanmanuelmacias.com