Re: [DISCUSSION] Re-design of inlinetasks

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [DISCUSSION] Re-design of inlinetasks
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 09:15:00 +0000

Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> writes:

>> And what about drawers? Don't they fit the idea of "detached" element?
>
> But drawers would not serve as a "detached section"... Although they are
> certainly very versatile. I usually use drawers to export as small
> "containers". And when I don't export them, they are very useful for
> temporarily saving all kinds of "things". In Spanish we have the term
> "cajón de sastre" (lit.: "a tailor drawer") to refer to something where
> you can store everything :-)

I am not sure here. It looks like having a new special block type

#+begin_inlinesection
#+end_inlinesection

would be sufficient. Given that we cannot nest inlinesections anyway.

Or special drawer
:inlinesection:
:end:

Although, drawers will be less powerful because, unlike special blocks,
you cannot have a different drawer type inside. For special blocks, a
different special block is perfectly fine.

I do not see any clear benefit of having a dedicated, separate markup
for inlinesection, apart from philosophical.

> As for the inlinetask (or whatever they may be called in the future),
> the fact that they are a kind of hybrid between a section (unrelated to
> the level hierarchy) and a drawer seems very interesting to me. Apart
> from the scenario of the anonymous sections that I mentioned before, I
> can think of a few more. For example, something like this:
>
> *************** WORKING Complete this :noexport:
>               DEADLINE: <2023-08-27 dom>
>                 Content
> *************** END
>
> And the combination of org-store-link with org-transclusion can also be
> interesting.
>
> Or, for example this other example, which is not possible now, but with
> some modification in org-mime-org-subtree-htmlize I think it is:
>
> *************** TODO Email this
>               DEADLINE: <2023-08-27 dom>
>               :PROPERTIES:
>               :mail_to:  mail address
>               :mail_subject: mail subject
>               :END:
>                 Content

We can get the same functionality if we allow arbitrary properties and
tags assigned to non-headline elements.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,