Re: [patch] Fixes and improvements in org-latex-language-alist (was: ox-

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [patch] Fixes and improvements in org-latex-language-alist (was: ox-latex language handling in Org-9.5 vs 9.6)
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 16:52:03 +0000

> On 09/09/2023 16:11, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
>> I am not sure if making a breaking change to public constant is the best
>> approach.
>> What about simply adding an extra entry:
>> ("de" ....)
>> ("de-de" <copy of "de" property list>)
>
> Ideally it should not be a public constant. Values should be accessed
> using a helper that returns "de" value for "de-de", "de-ch", "de-it"
> without copies, unless a more specific key is defined as it is done for
> de-at.

It is already a public constant. And I see no strong reason to change
this (strong enough to justify breaking change).

> I have a hope that properties may be generated from CLDR data, LaTeX
> babel .ini files, etc. However it should be possible to override
> specific properties.

For context, I plan to provide a global language-identifier alist that
will link human-readable language names to abbreviations like "de",
"de-de", etc. These abbreviations are not unique to LaTeX, but also used
elsewhere, so there is no guarantee that babel .ini files will always
use a consistent set of language abbreviations.

Thus, auto-generating the alist may be not reliable. At least some
manual overseeing may be needed.

But the general idea of auto-generating this alist is not bad. Patches
welcome, I think. Though I am not sure if we can easily handle tricky
cases like weird installation directory for TeXLive or MikTeX.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,