Re: [patch] Fixes and improvements in org-latex-language-alist

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: [patch] Fixes and improvements in org-latex-language-alist
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 21:15:37 +0000

Ihor Radchenko writes:

> For context, I plan to provide a global language-identifier alist that
> will link human-readable language names to abbreviations like "de",
> "de-de", etc. These abbreviations are not unique to LaTeX, but also used
> elsewhere, so there is no guarantee that babel .ini files will always
> use a consistent set of language abbreviations.

Is the code you're working on in a public repository, to keep an eye on?
As I mentioned in previous messages, that seems like a great improvement
to me. I think it was not a happy decision at the time to use languages
codes to declare the language of the document in Org. Language codes can
be useful at a low level (although they can also lead to confusion), but
I think that for a user level it is more practical to use human-readable
names, as is done in babel or polyglossia, and in general, any user
interface outside of LaTeX. Although babel also allows language codes as
a value for some \babelprovide options (for example, I can define a new
"virtual" language, importing the Greek captions:
\babelprovide[captions=el]{mylanguage}).

In case it helps you, on page. 19 of the Babel manual there is an
exhaustive list of all the languages codes, and on p. 22 a list of
supported (human readable) language names for loading ini files. The
language names of the old ldf files are on p. 49:

https://CTAN/macros/latex/required/babel/base/babel.pdf

--
Juan Manuel Macías

https://juanmanuelmacias.com