Re: [patch] Fixes and improvements in org-latex-language-alist

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [patch] Fixes and improvements in org-latex-language-alist
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 08:32:56 +0000

Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> writes:

> Ihor Radchenko writes:
>
>> For context, I plan to provide a global language-identifier alist that
>> will link human-readable language names to abbreviations like "de",
>> "de-de", etc. These abbreviations are not unique to LaTeX, but also used
>> elsewhere, so there is no guarantee that babel .ini files will always
>> use a consistent set of language abbreviations.
>
> Is the code you're working on in a public repository, to keep an eye
> on?

Not really. The story starts from the previous discussion of
translations in your French quote patch:
https://list.orgmode.org/orgmode/87pm3e6qx3.fsf@localhost/

I started writing it and realized that the current situation with all
the translations scattered all over the place (at least, ox libraries,
column view, and org-clock) is not ideal. So, I plan to factor out all
the translations into a separate file (say, org-translate). That file
will also define common interfaces to work with language codes and
translating phrases.

> As I mentioned in previous messages, that seems like a great improvement
> to me. I think it was not a happy decision at the time to use languages
> codes to declare the language of the document in Org. Language codes can
> be useful at a low level (although they can also lead to confusion), but
> I think that for a user level it is more practical to use human-readable
> names, as is done in babel or polyglossia, and in general, any user
> interface outside of LaTeX. Although babel also allows language codes as
> a value for some \babelprovide options (for example, I can define a new
> "virtual" language, importing the Greek captions:
> \babelprovide[captions=el]{mylanguage}).

That's very LaTeX-specific and will be limited to LaTeX export.
I do not see any problem since we have to support languages defined by
language code anyway, for backwards compatibility.

> In case it helps you, on page. 19 of the Babel manual there is an
> exhaustive list of all the languages codes, and on p. 22 a list of
> supported (human readable) language names for loading ini files. The
> language names of the old ldf files are on p. 49:
>
> https://CTAN/macros/latex/required/babel/base/babel.pdf

Thanks!

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,