Re: Completion of links to man pages

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Completion of links to man pages
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2023 12:48:45 +0000

>> To emacs-devel: Would it be of interest to expose man/woman completion
>> API?
>
> Since Org mode supports a couple of previous Emacs versions, I would
> avoid cross-posting. I just sent a draft to evaluate if code can be
> added to Org.

Previous Emacs versions are not a concern, because we can rely on the
implementation details there. It is the new Emacs versions where
implementation details may change that are the concern. That's why I
decided to consult emacs-devel - if we cannot rely on these details, we
will add maintenance burden upon us to track internal implementation
changes in man/woman.

>>>      (let ((completion-ignore-case t)) ; See `man' comments.
>>
>> `completion-ignore-case' is not set in woman.
>
> There are enough inconsistencies between man and woman, I am unsure if
> all of them should be mirrored in Org mode.

They are already mirrored. Mostly. Consider the same Org file opened by
different users with `org-man-command' set to 'man and 'woman.

> Frankly speaking, I am unsure if woman should be supported in Org at
> all. My early experience with woman.el was not nice. I tried M-x woman
> RET ssh RET (openssh).

woman is not trying to be complete. See [[info:woman#Introduction]].

For Org support, we already support it, and it would be a feature
regression if we remove it.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,