Re: Completion of links to man pages

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Completion of links to man pages
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2023 19:37:05 +0300

> From: Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net>
> Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2023 16:15:07 +0000
>
> Max Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > World has changed since woman.el was developed. Are there systems with
> > man pages available, but no man command nowadays? Android with man pages
> > copied by its user?
>
> MS-DOS, for example.

What we here call "MNS-DOS" (which is actually the DJGPP development
environment used to compile the MS-DOS build of Emacs) does have the
man command:

  http://www.delorie.com/pub/djgpp/current/v2apps/man13br2.zip

> Or old Windows versions.

The Windows port of the above is available from the ezwinports site.

> > In WoMan I have not found a way to open <man:man(7)> directly without an
> > additional prompt for the page section.
>
> > man.el has a lot of options how to select window for a man page. It is
> > not the case for woman.
> > ... For Org internal link types same/other window is
> > controlled by prefix argument (however `org-open-at-point' doc string
> > describes another meaning of prefix argument: if link should be opened
> > in Emacs or an external application). I am unsure what is proper
> > behavior of man links opened from Org, should Org try to make behavior
> > consistent or it should let packages to act as they wish.
>
> These two sound like feature requests for WoMan. These features might also
> benefit Org, if implemented.

I don't think woman.el is being developed, or is it?