Re: Completion of links to man pages

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: Completion of links to man pages
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 22:59:09 +0700

On 05/10/2023 19:48, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
Max Nikulin writes:

Frankly speaking, I am unsure if woman should be supported in Org at
all. My early experience with woman.el was not nice. I tried M-x woman
RET ssh RET (openssh).

woman is not trying to be complete. See [[info:woman#Introduction]].

For Org support, we already support it, and it would be a feature
regression if we remove it.

World has changed since woman.el was developed. Are there systems with man pages available, but no man command nowadays? Android with man pages copied by its user?

I see a little value in a tool that can not handle a wide spread case when a better one is available. Features, that were unique for woman, have been implemented for man.

In WoMan I have not found a way to open <man:man(7)> directly without an additional prompt for the page section.

man.el has a lot of options how to select window for a man page. It is not the case for woman. For Org internal link types same/other window is controlled by prefix argument (however `org-open-at-point' doc string describes another meaning of prefix argument: if link should be opened in Emacs or an external application). I am unsure what is proper behavior of man links opened from Org, should Org try to make behavior consistent or it should let packages to act as they wish.