Feature request: export form feed as page break

From: Marvin Gülker
Subject: Feature request: export form feed as page break
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 09:42:33 +0200

Dear list,

I am creating training material for the education of German law
students, which usually consists of a case story on one or two pages,
followed by a page break after which a proposal for resolving the case
is provided. The structure is like this because usually I provide the
case story before the meeting, where I work out a solution with the
students, and afterwards I want to provide them with complete material,
while still having everything contained in one file.

With org, I can easily export to LaTeX and thereby to PDF, and it works
quite nicely. However, for the page break I always need to write a
literal \newpage into the document, which does work, but only in LaTeX.
Since I am the only one using org/LaTeX at my chair, I have to convert
these documents to DOCX (using the ODT exporter) when a collegue wants
an editable version of them. As a LaTeX command, \newpage does not work
when exporting to ODT. I thus open the exported document manually after
the export and insert the page break using LibreOffice.

To ease this process, I would like to request that the ASCII control
character U+000C FORM FEED (displayed by emacs as ^L and also known as
`\f' in C string notation) is recognised by exporters and translated to
the corresponding page break command, that is, in LaTeX \newpage and in
ODT to the XML that makes LibreOffice start a new page. For HTML, it
could be exported as <div style="clear: both; page-break-after:
always"/></div> or similar, and for exporters which have no notion of
pages, it could just be copied over to the exported document as-is.

  -MG

--
Dipl.-Jur. M. Gülker | https://mg.guelker.eu | PGP: Siehe Webseite
Passau, Deutschland  | kontakt@guelker.eu    | O<