Re: Feature request: export form feed as page break

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Feature request: export form feed as page break
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 08:58:08 +0000

Marvin Gülker <post+orgmodeml@guelker.eu> writes:

> On the other hand, there are semantic page breaks. The page break I
> described in the OP is of this kind – it has been added specifically to
> hide the proposed solution from the first page and allow me to just
> print page 1 and hand that one to the students. For this page break, the
> paper size is completely irrelevant. Even if I printed on A3 for
> whatever reason (maybe I ran out of A4 paper), the semantic still
> requires the solution to be on page 2. It is this kind of page break I
> am referring to and which I think is representable in markup.

Fair point. And adding "semantic" page breaks to Org syntax will not
rule out "typographical" page breaks via @@backend:...@@ or macro syntax.

>> - In LaTeX, this is easy to achieve simply putting =\clearpage=
>
> A quick note here: \newpage and \clearpage do different things in LaTeX
> if there is floating material in the document. \clearpage typesets the
> floats and then breaks the page, whereas \newpage does not consider them.

If we consider semantic page breaks, I think that \newpage is more
appropriate as it will prevent floats defined below from showing up.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,