Re: Exporting Hyperlinks ?

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: Exporting Hyperlinks ?
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 14:55:03 -0700

to throw a cat among the pigeons, [[file:contacts.org::#custom_id][My
text]] made me think of the need for global custom id in addition to a
file-specific one like this.  idk what a good ui for it would be given
all the options we have considered over the years and recently.  just
thought to bring it up.

one thing i dislike is having to specify a file name in #+include or
links.  too brittle for my taste.  you change the file name and the
inclusion [transclusion package also?] or link is broken.  i'm ok with
org id most of the time but suepect global human-readable would be
really really useful.

imo huge value here.  in fact, i think we should allow human-readable
id's [/and/ org id's] in non-org files, such as .el.

oref seems to do this, but is not part of org and does not use org id
db yet, and some might or might not want a different syntax [no
opinion].

good concept.  as something similar, i found myself using
org-link-minor mode all the time for linking together, in comments,
parts of .el files, such as comments with distant code or code in
another file, or format statements with something that parses them but
is for whatever reason not nearby them.  and i also linked org with
.el so that org would do org things.  it made tses and links
clickable.  id markers [not implemented] would be even better as they
would allow instar and outstar formations and unbreakable bidir links
and tours/cycles and arbitrary graphs if those turn out to be desired.
if desired and not too complex, it could even hook up with the org
link insertion and editing mechanism in principle.

i did look at hyperbole both old and new, and found almost nothing
that i needed there.  just personal experience.

also, given especially the org-id stuff and other org aspects, i
actually think this kind of thing should NOT be a
separately-maintained package like oref, but should be a minor mode
that is part of the org-maintained codebase.  we do already have at
least one org minor mode for operating on non-org files.

of course, maintainers would have to be on board with it being part of
org-maintained code.  i just think org should branch out to this minor
mode.

--
The Kafka Pandemic

https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com