Re: Pending contents in org documents (Re: Asynchronous blocks for every

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Pending contents in org documents (Re: Asynchronous blocks for everything (was Re: ...))
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2024 11:13:41 +0000

Bruno Barbier <brubar.cs@gmail.com> writes:

>> Overlays are not transferred when a new indirect buffer is created (for
>> example, by org-capture, or by user). So, it will be (1) impossible to
>> see pending overlays in indirect buffers; (2) user edits of pending text
>> from indirect buffer will not be prevented.
>
> If I understand correctly, you would prefer a solution that relies on
> text properties ? (I didn't leak the overlay details in the API, so, it
> should not be too hard to switch to text properties, except for possible
> conflicts with other existing properties).

Yes, I think. Might also try to mirror overlays, but that's problematic
in practice.

However, you cannot use 'before-string/'after-string for overlays.

> What about markers ? Are they OK ?

Markers always point to a specific buffer.
However, for indirect buffers, the text and text properties are shared.
So, editing in one buffer will be automatically reflected in all the clones.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,