Re: Pending contents in org documents (Re: Asynchronous blocks for every

From: Bruno Barbier
Subject: Re: Pending contents in org documents (Re: Asynchronous blocks for everything (was Re: ...))
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2024 18:08:41 +0100

Hi,

Bruno Barbier <brubar.cs@gmail.com> writes:

> Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> writes:

[...]
> I now think that overlays are the right way; the /pending content/ is
> attached to one buffer: a base or a clone; this is for the user to
> decide.
>
> I will manually add text properties, below the overlay, to mark the text
> as /pending/, so that pending contents will be visible and read-only in
> all other buffers, base or indirect ones.
>
> Cloning buffers is easy to test. I'm not sure which scenario I should
> use to test org-capture though.
>
> I'll update my branch with that improvement soon.
>

> Thanks Ihor!
>
> Bruno

Hi,

After some work, some bug fixes and a few segfaults (using indirect
buffers, see bug#69529), I pushed a new version.  The main changes are:

• Handle indirect buffers: the pending content belongs to the buffer
  that started it (using text properties to mirror overlays).
• Use the fringe to indicate success or failure.
• Describe the pending content (past&present) when the user clicks it
  (pending, success or failure, time, duration, log, etc.).
• Improve the logging API and provide examples (may be used to collect
  stderr for example).

As before, the org file describes how to test it, see the file
[scratch/bba-pending-contents/my-async-tests.org] (direct link below).

Comments, critiques, ideas, corrections are most welcome.

Thanks,

Bruno

[scratch/bba-pending-contents/my-async-tests.org]
<https://framagit.org/brubar/org-mode-mirror/-/tree/bba-pending-contents/scratch/bba-pending-contents/my-async-tests.org>