Re: Pending contents in org documents (Re: Asynchronous blocks for every

From: Bruno Barbier
Subject: Re: Pending contents in org documents (Re: Asynchronous blocks for everything (was Re: ...))
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2024 19:06:24 +0100

> Bruno Barbier <brubar.cs@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> Overlays are not transferred when a new indirect buffer is created (for
>>> example, by org-capture, or by user). So, it will be (1) impossible to
>>> see pending overlays in indirect buffers; (2) user edits of pending text
>>> from indirect buffer will not be prevented.
>>
>> If I understand correctly, you would prefer a solution that relies on
>> text properties ? (I didn't leak the overlay details in the API, so, it
>> should not be too hard to switch to text properties, except for possible
>> conflicts with other existing properties).
>
> Yes, I think. Might also try to mirror overlays, but that's problematic
> in practice.

I now think that overlays are the right way; the /pending content/ is
attached to one buffer: a base or a clone; this is for the user to
decide.

I will manually add text properties, below the overlay, to mark the text
as /pending/, so that pending contents will be visible and read-only in
all other buffers, base or indirect ones.

Cloning buffers is easy to test. I'm not sure which scenario I should
use to test org-capture though.

I'll update my branch with that improvement soon.

Thanks Ihor!

Bruno