Re: Warn about shell-expansion in the docstring of org-latex-to-html-con

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: Warn about shell-expansion in the docstring of org-latex-to-html-convert-command
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 19:01:16 +0700

On 25/02/2024 17:41, Max Nikulin wrote:
Max Nikulin writes:

So `shell-quote-argument' is necessary and quotes around %i must be
stripped similar to %s in mailcap entries in `org-open-file'.
Please, revert the commit that added a misleading recommendation.
It should be more reliable to pass fragment to command stdin. It can be done if %i is missed in `org-latex-to-html-convert-command'.

I have realized that there is `org-latex-to-mathml-convert-command' introduced a decade earlier and affected by the same issue with possible leak of formula to shell command. Even if there are reasons against obsoleting `org-latex-to-html-convert-command' in favor of `org-latex-to-mathml-convert-command', both user options should be handled by the same function.

I am unsure if it is an intended feature that when an org file is opened from a remote location like /ssh:... then `org-latex-to-html-convert-command' is executed on the remote host. It makes implementation of stdin more tricky. Ideally, it should be configurable where the command is executed: where emacs is running, where the document resides, or even with specific `default-directory'.

Double quotes are recommended around %i for ODT export
(info "(org) LaTeX math snippets")
https://orgmode.org/manual/LaTeX-math-snippets.html
and it should be fixed as well.

It seems --preload=siunitx.sty should be recommended any more for latexml:
https://github.com/brucemiller/LaTeXML/issues/2268
Problem width loading expl3-code.tex

Perhaps at least some cases may be handled by pandoc
https://list.orgmode.org/CAEPTPEzvx5ZhY5qrCJnFtAC_NpPC9d1a-Q=yE+XNTrPXiMpTag@mail.gmail.com/
David Lukeš. Using pandoc to convert LaTeX math to MathML
Tue, 1 Mar 2022 15:59:36 +0100

Unfortunately I am not familiar with MathML enough to evaluate that there are no caveats with pandoc.