The org--math-p advice around texmathp

From: Tony Zorman
Subject: The org--math-p advice around texmathp
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 20:41:52 +0100

Hi,

I recently stumbled upon the fact that Org has some around advice for
texmathp: org--math-p. For reasons that aren't entirely clear to me,
this has some special handling for cdlatex-math-symbol, and recognises
display and inline maths environments on its own, only calling out to
texmathp if it could not find anything. In the former cases, it also
populates the texmathp-why variable, although the position is just
filled in with 0.

I suppose my succinct question is: why? Is there any advantage in
handling inline and display maths in this way, only deferring to
texmathp as a last resort? I'm asking because I wrote a small package to
switch between environments, and the position information that
texmathp-why provides is very useful in choosing the closest
environment.

Thanks!
Tony

--