Re: The org--math-p advice around texmathp

From: Tony Zorman
Subject: Re: The org--math-p advice around texmathp
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 13:23:46 +0100

On Sat, Mar 16 2024 10:07, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> In Org mode, there is a significant difference between \alpha and
> \(\alpha\). The former is natively fontified (with `org-pretty-entities'
> set to t) and natively exported to HTML/ASCII/ODT/etc. In contrast,
> \(\alpha\) is very generic and Org mode has to invoke LaTeX, and
> transform the contents into an image to render it. This includes export.
>
> So, plain \alpha entity is generally more universal when in Org mode.

That's fair enough, I didn't know about org-pretty-entities! I guess
for me org-cdlatex-mode was always something to insert *LaTeX* in Org,
and not arbitrary Unicode (especially since there's currently no check
in place that verifies whether the entered symbol can actually be
rendered correctly via org-pretty-entities and cdlatex-math-symbol can
insert arbitrary LaTeX code)

> Further on the topic of the advice, the original texmathp has no idea
> about Org-mode's syntax. If you have something like
>
> Verbatim text: =\(= followed by \alpha \)
>
> Then, (texmathp) will return non-nil on "\alpha" disregarding Org mode's
> syntax.

Ah indeed, this is a good point. I guess I would wish for more granular
advice, but I recognise the difficulty in getting this exactly right.
Thanks for your patience!

  Tony

--
Tony Zorman | https://tony-zorman.com/