Re: The org--math-p advice around texmathp

From: Tony Zorman
Subject: Re: The org--math-p advice around texmathp
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 21:41:41 +0100

On Fri, Mar 15 2024 14:14, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> Tony Zorman <tony.zorman@tu-dresden.de> writes:
>
>>> Because Org mode syntax is not LaTeX and `texmathp' assumes that we are
>>> inside
>>> LaTeX buffer. So, we first check using Org syntax whether the point is
>>> inside latex fragment in Org sense.
>>
>> But isn't what Org calls LaTeX math pretty equivalent to what would
>> count as the same in a LaTeX buffer? From a quick scan of texmathp.el, I
>> couldn't actually see a hard-dependency on a TeX-derived mode at all. I
>> wouldn't really care about this so much, but the fact that the Org
>> variant just misreports the position is a bit unfortunate, in my
>> opinion.
>
> No, there is a difference.
>
> For example, something like \alpha is a valid Org mode entity.
> Without `org--math-p' advice, if you do "`a" in Org buffer with
> org-cdlatex-mode, you will see $\alpha$ inserted. With the advice, just
> \alpha will be inserted.
>
> There are likely other similar edge cases.
>
> We would not choose to advice third-party function without a strong
> reason.

I believe you, but apparently I still haven't really understood the
point of the advice.

For example, I would think it's expected behaviour that "`a" in a string
produces "\(\alpha\)" with CDLaTeX; indeed, so far I thought it was just
a bug that it didn't! Likewise, that a standalone `a produces \alpha
instead of \(\alpha\). Why is this not expected behaviour in Org?

  Tony

--
Tony Zorman | https://tony-zorman.com/