Re: Presenting Hyperorg version 0.1.0: The Org to HTML Converter

From: c . buhtz
Subject: Re: Presenting Hyperorg version 0.1.0: The Org to HTML Converter
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 14:22:03 +0000

Dear Ihor,

thanks for your reply.

Am 24.03.2024 14:31 schrieb Ihor Radchenko:
Hmm. I thought that you implemented Org parser in python from scratch.
Now, I see that you are using orgparse.

The orgparse package do not parse much of on org file. IT does parse the meta infos (property drawers, etc) but not the content of an orgfile. In the long run I might replay orgparse to reduce dependencies.

Beside orgparse yes I implement an org parser.

Wondering what you are referring to when mentioning "resilient when
dealing with parser issues".

Orgparse do throw exceptions e.g. UnicodeDecodeError or when timestamps are invalid. Hyperorg catch that exceptions and go on with the next node without interrupting the whole process. Other things are "invalid" links, e.g. unknown orgids, unknown roam links, unsupported "link kinds" ("protocols" in org syntax?; e.g. "inkscape:"). Additionally there are multiple fancy but not supported org features (e.g. tables) currently not supported. Hyperorg shouldn't stop or crash at this point.

index can be produced with minimal configuration via ox-publish.

"minimal" is a subjective term here. Again I don't blame the tools or the Emacs universe. But for me it is not even minimal to get ox-publish run in the first place. Not speaking about further modifications, e.g. an index.

Emacs, Lisp and its "documentation" is a special thing not everybody can or want to handle. I would have to invest so much resources into basics like Lisp just to understand the documentation in a way that I would be able to modify the publishing feature in a (for me) satisfying way. I am the problem not Emacs and Co. ;)

Kind
Christian Buhtz