Re: [freesci-develop] Making FreeSCI code C++ friendly

From: Max Horn
Subject: Re: [freesci-develop] Making FreeSCI code C++ friendly
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 20:23:53 +0100

Am 14.03.2007 um 19:29 schrieb Matt:

[...]

I think this progression makes good sense. Just wanted to give it my vote
:)

My opinion on this matters little, but I think all of these changes are harmless. mostly making tons of implicit type casts explicit, and renaming some variables which clash with C++ keywords.

I noticed that there are tons of warnings one gets with -Wall, even when using a C compiler to compile FreeSCI -- but those warnings are there w/o the patch, too. FreeSCI doesn't seem to make much (any?) efforts to silence warnings :).

I would recommend testing the changes under gcc 2.95, gcc 3.3, gcc 3.4,
gcc 4.x, and VC++ 8.0 (2005). I'd say gcc 2.95 isn't too important,
because it hasn't been updated in years, but there are some platforms on
which that was the last GCC release and we may still want to support
those.

I strongly doubt any C compiler which is able to compile FreeSCI now would have any troubles after the patch is applied (see above). Nevertheless, I tested the patch on my Mac OS X box with Apple GCC 4.0.1, where it compiled fine. The same for a Debian box using both GCC 3.4.5 & 2.95.4

Cheers,
Max